Winston Churchill

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." Winston Churchill

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

School in Kenya

I went to a school today, Compass School. In the last few years the new government changed the constitution in Kenya and school is now free. Free if you can afford the uniform, shoes, napsack and a sweater. I never thought that would be something difficult to accomplish. I don't want to come across as a downer or someone who only sees the 'yuck' of this situration, but I want to be real. When we were at the school there were children everywhere, in class rooms, playing soccer, playing in the dirt. But there was just as many kids outside the gates, not in school. In our country when kids don't have to go to school for a day they are totally excited, 'ya no school' 'I hate school' 'why do I have to go to school anyways'. Becasue school is a right of passage in a child's life. It is an expectation, one that we will never have to live without. School is what is going to turn this country around, and only a few children have that privilage. A teacher salary here is $100 a month. AND THEY DON"T EVEN GET PAID MOST OF THE TIME. But everyday they come, because they can see the future. My job today was to help with medical assessments of the children. My partner and I were only able to see 30 kids. In that 30 I am happy to report that most ate 3 meals a day. I said 'most', did you hear that. When was the last time you went without 3 square a day? Your kids? Your neighbours? And it was quit evident who had three meals vs. who only received lunch that was given by the school. And just so you know, lunch constists of beans, soaked beans eaten with your hand...everyday. The waste of my own garbage can at home could feed more children than I want to admit. Alot of you will say, 'ya but what are we suppost to do, we can't help everyone?'. No we can't help them all, but I think if we could commit to helping one, that one has a chance. $5 a day is more than enough for them to feed and clothe their family. And maybe I'm over the top on some things, but when it stares you in face how can you look away. How can we not fall to our knees and thank God for His provision in our life. We have no idea how blessed we are. If I learn anything from this experience, it is to be greatfull for EVERYTHING I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment